Aesop allows for the import of data into the system through a Data Import or Data Load process. This is useful when you need to enter large amounts of information at once or to make changes to multiple things at once.
Data Import Templates
The import of data must be done through an Excel spreadsheet. In order for the data to be loaded correctly you must use the correct headers for the columns in the spreadsheet. We have provided different Import Templates for you to use that already have the correct headers. You can also create your own spreadsheet in Excel using these headers.
Setting Up an Import Template
To begin, choose the proper template for the data you are importing. There are a number of different data import templates you can choose from.
- Accounting Code (Download Template) – Import new or edit existing accounting codes in Reference Data.
- Budget Code (Download Template) – Import new or edit existing Budget Codes in Reference Data.
- Employee (Download Template) – Import new employees or edit existing employee information. This includes the employee General Information as well as their Skills and Substitute Preferences.
- Employee Type (Download Template) – Import new or edit existing Employee Types in Reference Data.
- Org/Campus User (Download Template) – Import new Org and Campus Users or edit info for existing ones.
- Pay Code (Download Template) – Import new or edit existing Pay Codes in Reference Data.
- School (Download Template) – Import new school locations and edit existing school locations. This includes school sub preferences.
- Skill (Download Template) – Import new or edit existing Skills in Reference Data.
- Substitute (Download Template) – Import new substitutes or edit existing substitute information. This includes the substitute General Information as well as their Skills and School Preferences.
- Vacancy Profile (Download Template) – Import new and edit existing Vacancy Profiles. This includes Vacancy Profile Skills and Substitute Preferences.
Once in the template, fill in the fields that you want to import into Aesop. If you are importing new data like new employees or substitutes there will be a number of required fields. The required fields will be highlighted in the template. If you are just updating existing information you will only need to fill in the identifier field to identify the object you are changing and any other fields you would like to change.
Example: If you are just wanting to add an email address to a number of existing employees you would only need to fill in the employee identifiers in the Identifier column and fill in their email addresses in the Email column.
To simplify the import process it is recommended that you delete any columns that you are not using from the file. When you are done putting the information into the template it should look something like this.
Save this file somewhere it can easily be found (like your computer desktop). You will need it later.
Importing the File into Aesop
Browse and Upload File
From here choose the Object Type from the drop down menu and Browse your computer for the file you are going to import. This will be the import template you saved earlier.
You can add multiple files by clicking the Add File button. When you are ready to move to the next step click the Next > button.
Before submitting the import you will have a chance to preview it and specify the way you want certain items imported.
At the top of the page you will see the name of the file you are importing, the number of records in the file, and an indication of which record is being displayed. You can scroll through the first five records by the black forward and back arrows.
Below this you will see a list of the Source Fields with the data for the displayed record, the Target Fields, and the options for blank values and changing the field.
- Source Field – This is the header from the data import template. Based on this header Aesop knows which field the data is being imported to.
- Target Field – This is where the new data is being imported into the system.
- Blank Value Restores Default – If you check this box then a blank field in the file will restore the target field to its default, clearing any existing data from the target field.
- Change this field – By default this box will be checked. This means you want Aesop to replace any existing info in the target field with this new information.
Configuring Import Options
Choose one of the three import options:
- Load all data that does not contain errors – Aesop will go ahead and load all the data without errors and skip any data that does have errors
- Stop load if errors are identified – If an error in the data is found during the upload Aesop will completely stop the import and no data will be updated.
- Validate Only; Do not update real data – Aesop will check to see if there are errors in the file and no data will be changed in Aesop.
Click Submit when you are ready to run the import.
Once you submit the import, you will be taken to the import status page. Here you will see the progress of your import as well as past imports. Refresh this page in your web browser to see an updated view.
If the import is still running you can cancel it by clicking the Cancel link. To view the import in more detail click the Details link.
There are a couple places in the import process where you may encounter errors.
When on the Preview Import screen, Aesop will show you if any of the headers in your file are incorrect and will not be able to map to a target field. In the example below one of the headers in the import file is incorrect. “Class” is not a correct header. Click the Details link to see which header is wrong. Using the provided import templates will help prevent these types of errors.
Once an import is run, you can view any errors on the “Import Status” screen. The “Error” column will show the number of errors that were found during the import.
To view the details of the errors click on the number link or the Details link.
Click the plus sign icon to expand the details of the error.
In this example, the School Code did not match any school in the district and needs to be corrected.
To correct this click the Download Error File link. This will open a new Excel file with only the rows that had errors. Simply fix the errors in the file and submit it as a new data import.